The Lagos State Ministry of Justice said it has arrested 229 suspects who allegedly took part in the looting and destruction of public and private properties in the State after the shooting of #EndSARS protesters at Lekki Toll gate last Tuesday.
A statement by the ministry’s Director of Public Affairs, Mr. Kayode Oyekanmi, said that it would prosecute suspects that took advantage of the End SARS protest to destroy and loot public and private properties in different parts of the state.
The statement read: “The Lagos State Director of the Directorate of Public Prosecution (DPP), Mrs. Olayinka Adeyemi, has gone round relevant Police formations with a team of prosecutors to evaluate files of those arrested by the police with a view to determine those that have cases made against them.
“So far, 229 suspects have been arrested by the police for various criminal offences ranging from arson, murder, stealing, malicious damage of properties and assault before and after the state-wide curfew.
“Also, the Lagos State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Moyosore Onigbanjo (SAN), has called on Lagosians to maintain peace, law and order in their respective communities.
“He also said that the government is committed to upholding the rule of law at all times.”
According to the statement, after the evaluation, those who have cases to answer would be arraigned before the courts on Monday, October 26, while those without cases would be released.