The Next Edition
  • Home
  • About Us
  • News
  • Featured
  • Investigations
  • Foreign
  • Special Reports
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Advert Rate
No Result
View All Result
The Next Edition
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • About Us
  • News
  • Featured
  • Investigations
  • Foreign
  • Special Reports
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Advert Rate
Home Headline News

Senate tackles Osinbajo over directive for PenCom, CBB, ICPC nominees to resume pending confirmation

Olalekan Saliu by Olalekan Saliu
August 19, 2017
in Headline News
Senate tackles Osinbajo over directive for PenCom, CBB, ICPC nominees to resume pending confirmation
0
SHARES
24
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

The Senate has countered the directive given by Acting President Yemi Osinbajo that the newly appointed chairmen of the National Pension Commission, Code of Conduct Bureau, and the Independent Corrupt Practices and other Related Offences Commission should resume duty immediately.

It warned the nominees not to obey the directive as it would be unconstitutional.

You might also like

CAC Unveils AI-powered Registration Portal

Four Dead, ’18 Injured’ As IEDs Explode In Yobe

Police Arrest Two Traffic Robbers In Lagos

In a statement issued by Mr. Bolaji Adebiyi, Permanent Secretary and Director Press, Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, the appointees had been directed by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo to resume in acting capacity.

The move, it was said, was to avoid a vacuum in the government institutions pending the confirmation by the Senate.

But barely a few hours after the directive, the Senate countered the move, warning the appointees not to obey the directive of the Presidency.

The Senate said it would be wrong of them to resume before their confirmation by the legislative arm.

The nominees affected by the Senate directive are Alhaji Ali Usman who has been nominated to become the Director General of the Pension Commission (PenCom), Dr. Mohammed Isah nominated as chairman of the Code of Conduct Bureau (CBB) and Prof. Bolaji Owasanoye, the chairman nominee of the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission (ICPC).

Read also: Buhari now back in Nigeria

In a statement by its spokesperson, Senator Aliyu Sabi Abdullahi, the Senate declared: “The leadership of the Senate has been inundated by enquiries from individuals from across the country who want to know whether the statement from the office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation to the effect that the nominees into the headship of PenCom, Code of Conduct Bureau and ICPC should resume work immediately pending their confirmation by the Senate was as a result of an understanding between the executive and the legislature.

“We will like to advise the Acting President who was quoted to have given the directive for the resumption of the nominees that the directive was illegal and not right. The Senate will not support any action that is not in line with the law.

“We advise the nominees to hold on until they are cleared by the Senate as required by the law before resuming in their respective offices.

“We do not want anything that will cause any problem between the executive and the< legislature.”

Tags: CBBconfirmationdirectiveheadlineICPCnewsNigerian newspapernomineesOsinbajoPENCOMpendingresumeSenatetackles
Olalekan Saliu

Olalekan Saliu

Recommended For You

CAC Registers 2million Businesses As FG Moves To Tackle Unemployment

CAC Unveils AI-powered Registration Portal

  The Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) has announced a complete overhaul of the Company Registration Portal (CRP) and introduced a new Artificial Intelligence (AI)-powered registration portal, which is...

Police Arrest 'immigration officer,' 3Others With Trailers Of Rustled Cows

Four Dead, ’18 Injured’ As IEDs Explode In Yobe

At least four people have been killed and 18 reportedly injured following two separate improvised explosive device (IED) explosions in Gujba LGA of Yobe state. According to Zagazola...

Police Arrest Hotelier Over OAU Post-Graduate Student’s Death

Police Arrest Two Traffic Robbers In Lagos

  Operatives of the Lagos Rapid Response Squad (RRS), a unit of the Lagos Police Command, have arrested two notorious traffic robbers operating in the Ketu and Mile...

Lagos Govt Reaffirms Ban On Flogging In Schools, Upholds Counseling

Lagos Assembly Approves Solar-powered Street Lighting Initiative

  The Committee urged the Lagos State Electricity Board to ensure equitable distribution of the solar street lights across all parts of the state. The Lagos House of...

Next Post
Ndoma-Egba welcomes Buhari, commends Osinbajo's stewardship

Ndoma-Egba welcomes Buhari, commends Osinbajo's stewardship




Related News

NAF destroys Boko Haram hideouts in Sambisa

NAF deploys air assets, personnel to Kafanchan to maintain peace –Spokesman

COSON Mourns Late Music Icon, Chris Ajilo

COSON Mourns Late Music Icon, Chris Ajilo

NLC, Abure-led NWC Dismiss New LP Faction

NLC, Abure-led NWC Dismiss New LP Faction




The Next Edition

Office Address

3B, Agboola Aina street, Off Toyin Street,
Ikeja, Lagos.

Quick Contact Details

Phone:
08033018430
Whatsapp:
08051679910

Email:
[email protected]
[email protected]

Categories

  • Aviation
  • Beauty
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Columnists
  • Editorial
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Featured
  • Football
  • Foreign
  • Headline News
  • Home & Garden
  • Interviews
  • Investigations
  • North Central
  • North East
  • North West
  • Opinion
  • Parenting
  • Politics
  • Relationships
  • South East
  • South West
  • South-South
  • Special Reports
  • Sports
  • Top News
  • Vox Pops

© Next Edition Business Development Limited

  • About Us
  • Advert Rate
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • About Us
  • News
  • Featured
  • Investigations
  • Foreign
  • Special Reports
  • Entertainment
  • Interviews
  • Advert Rate

© Next Edition Business Development Limited