The Apex Igbo socio cultural organisation, Ohaneze Ndigbo Worldwide, has described the letter allegedly written by a Fulani socio-cultural organisation, Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore, to its President General, John Nnia Nwodo, to influence who takes over from him as “a joke gone to far.”
A statement signed by the Special Adviser to Nwodo, Emeka Attamah, described the letter which has gone viral in the social media as an insult to the organisation and its leadership.
The letter had advised Nwodo to ensure that Professor George Obiozor from Imo State emerges as the next leader of the apex Igbo organisation since it was the turn of Imo State to produce the next President General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo.
The letter further claimed that discussions with the Governor of Imo State, Hope Uzodinma, indicated that Ambassador Obiozor would protect the interest of the Fulani as President General, and as a reward for Nwodo’s expected role in making this happen, they had forwarded his name to the presidency for an appointment.
Attamah further described the letter as a malicious, half-baked smear campaign.
Below is the full text of the statement:
Our attention has been drawn to a highly fallacious and spurious letter purported to have been written by the Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore, a Fulani socio-cultural organization, to the President General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo Worldwide, Chief John Nnia Nwodo.
The said letter congratulated Chief Nwodo for his able leadership of the apex Igbo socio-cultural body and enjoined him to ensure that Professor George Obiozor from Imo State emerges as his successor as it is the turn of the state to produce the next President General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo.
They claimed that discussions with the Governor of Imo State, Hope Uzodinma, indicated that Ambassador Obiozor would protect the interest of the Fulani as President General, and as a recompense for Chief Nwodo’s expected role in making this happen, they had forwarded his name to the presidency for an appointment. What insult ! What impudence !
If not for the currency the letter has gained having gone viral in the social media, one would’ve ignored it as a laughable piece of junk fit for the trash can, but this time it is a joke gone too far, the discerning public having known the image and integrity of Chief Nwodo who has had a successful and unblemished public service career as a two-time Minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and President General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo.
READ ALSO: DPO Escapes Death in Benue
So, to totally debunk and deflate the despicable and malicious, half-baked smear campaign, the following clarifications are important:
- The vexatious letter was dated far back in August and Chief Nwodo’s attention was drawn to it only yesterday in the social media. He never saw it before then as none was sent to him.
- The home address written on the letter suggests that Chief Nwodo’s house is at Golf Estate whereas all those who know him know he has never lived there, thereby casting a lot of doubt over the authenticity of the letter.
- It is either that the official letterhead of Miyetti Allah was stolen or cloned and used by the purveyor of the letter without the knowledge of the Fulani group or, if the signature of the National Secretary of Miyetti on the letter is real, then there is an inexplicable ploy by some people to interfere in the election of the incoming leadership of Ohanaeze Ndigbo.
- The leadership of Ohanaeze Ndigbo is not for sale and nobody can manipulate the choice of Ndigbo and the outcome of the election.
- Chief Nwodo has never and will never attend any meeting where the people of Imo State will determine who their flag bearer will be, and Ohanaeze will conduct election for all those who indicate interest and purchase the form for it.
- Chief Nwodo has a pedigree he is proud of and is desirous of protecting. He has made a name for himself through dint of hard work, sagacious social interactions and unequalled intellectual and transparent service and leadership.
It is, therefore, preposterous for anybody to imagine, believe or imply that Chief Nwodo requires the recommendation of any socio-cultural group for him to be considered for an appointment in Nigeria. That alone should bring out clearly the absurdity, incongruity and absolute imbecility of the badly conceived and baseless letter. It is said that ‘Falsus in uno, Falsus in omnibus’, false in one thing, false in everything.
- If, perchance, this is the evil machination of any would-be aspirant or a group with vested interest, then, it has certainly back fired and is of no effect.
- The general public should, therefore, discountenance the letter and see it as the pitiable handiwork of unsuccessful detractors because Chief Nwodo is resolute about leaving behind a viable and people chosen leadership for Ohanaeze Ndigbo and has sworn to do that unabashed.
Chief Emeka Attamah
Special Adviser to President General, Ohanaeze Ndigbo.