A startling revelation was made on Thursday at the House of Representatives’ investigation into the reinstatement of former Chairman of the Presidential Task Force on Pension Reforms, Abdulrasheed Maina.
Despite his sack from service, he still received salaries.
This disclosure was made by the counsel to Maina, Mohammed Katu, when he appeared before the probe committee of the House of Representatives.
His words: “Maina is still receiving salaries. 23 files were sent to him in his capacity as acting director, even while he was absent. Maina has continued to work even after he was dismissed.”
The counsel, however, said his client had to go underground “because of the serious threats to his life.”
Katu is appearing before the House of Representatives ad-hoc committee for his client, Maina, along with the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Malami; Minister of Interior, Abdulrahman Dambazau and the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, Winifred Oyo-Ita.
The probe followed the controversy that surrounded the reinstatement of Maina, who had earlier been declared wanted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, over alleged involvement in financial scam.
The three top government officials were said to have a hand in the alleged unlawful reinstatement.
The top government officials had since declared their innocence.
Following the controversy that followed the reinstatement, President Buhari had ordered the sack of Maina.
Maina has since fled to escape being arrested by operatives of the EFCC.