Dozens of Sri Lankan students at a school in a suburb of Colombo, were hospitalised on Wednesday after they were exposed to a toxic vapour, the police said.

The students were sent to the preliminary care unit of the local hospital after they fainted.

The police said that some discarded rubber products had been burned in an adjoining land, with heavy smoke filtering into several classrooms.

READ ALSO: Tinubu Has No Pending Criminal Case With Police, I-G Tells Court

Teachers then rushed the children to the hospitals with the aid of medical staff.

The police said those hospitalised were stable, and they were searching for those who set fire to the discarded rubber products. (dpa/NAN)