The Nigeria Labour Congress says it will ahead with the nationwide protest on Tuesday, January 8.
The protest is to force President Muhammadu Buhari to transmit the bill on the new national minimum wage from to the National Assembly.
The general secretary of the NLC, Dr Peter Ozo-Eson, in a statement on Monday said that there would be no strike for now and that members of the public should disregard reports saying the strike would begin on January 8.
The statement read in part: “It has come to our attention that some sections of the news media have largely misrepresented our action plan in reaction to the delay in transmitting the recommendations of the Tripartite Committee on a new national minimum wage to the National Assembly by President Muhammadu Buhari.
“It should be recalled that the National Executive Council of the NLC met on December 17 last year and directed that we hold nationwide mobilisation of workers and our allies if, by December 31, 2018, the bill on the national minimum wage has yet to be sent to the National Assembly to be passed as an Act of Parliament.
“We immediately announced then that on Tuesday, January 8, 2019, there will be a nationwide mass mobilisation and protests simultaneously across all states in Nigeria. This does not translate to a strike.”