The Federal Government has said that the six Nigerians convicted in United Arab Emirates, for sponsoring terrorist Boko Haram can appeal their conviction to the Emirates’ Supreme Court.
The six were found guilty of funding the terrorist group to the tune of $782, 000, transferred through some Nigerian based accomplices.
However, their relatives claimed they were set up.
Reacting to the development, the Chairman, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, said the men could approach the UAE Supreme Court “if they so desired.”
In a tweet on Monday, Dabiri-Erewa said: “They can approach the Supreme Court if they so desire as we continue to appeal to Nigerians all over the world to desist from crime and criminality. The case had been in court since 2015.”
The spokesman, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Ferdinand Nwonye, said the government would be exploring various options including diplomatic avenues to help the defendants but noted that there was no official position on the case for now.
Chairman of the Senate Committee on Judiciary, Human Rights and Legal Matters, Senator Opeyemi Bamidele, also said the upper chamber would investigate the matter.