The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has frozen the bank accounts of former Senator Shehu Sani.
A senior special adviser to Sani, Suleiman Ahmed, who disclosed this in a statement on Sunday, said that the embattled former senator was also forced to declare his assets.
Recall that Sani was picked up by the anti-graft body on December 31 and has been in their custody since then.
The EFCC alleged that he extorted the sum $24,000 from the owner of an automobile company, ASD Motors, Sani Dauda, promising to use same to influence the acting Chairman of the agency, Ibrahim Magu, the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Tanko Muhammad and some other judges to favour the businessman in some cases against him.
TheCable reports that Sani’s aide, in the statement accused the EFCC of bias in his principal’s case, and he listed 11 questions for the agency to answer.
He wondered why the anti-graft agency has not detained Sani’s accuser “who admitted to giving bribe” and why it has not invited “Alhaji Samaila Isa Funtua who was mentioned in the frame up against Shehu Sani?”
“Mr. Orilade, what is the connection between allegations of extortion of $25,000 and then searching his residence, blocking his accounts and forcing him to declare his assets?” he asked the EFCC.
He queried further:
* What can you say on the allegation that the accuser of Shehu Sani can neither read nor write; that it was the EFCC that guided him on what to say?
READ ALSO: Appeal Court freezes Fayose’s account
* We have in (it) on record that Shehu Sani’s accuser has no pending case with the Supreme Court, how comes did he give (gave) Shehu Sani bribe to give the CJN?
* We have it on record that Shehu Sani’s accuser has no pending or ongoing case with the EFCC, how comes did he give (gave) Shehu Sani bribe to give the EFCC or its chairman?
* The CJN denied the bribe allegations and Shehu Sani denied the bribe allegations, where did Tony Orilade get his fact?
* It is not enough posting statement about Shehu Sani. If you have any evidence or fact, why not post it now?
* You said people defending Shehu Sani are doing it for pecuniary gain, are you defending EFCC for free?
* Shehu Sani petitioner said $24,000 and you said $25,000, are you the one that added $1,000 .
* Mr. Toni Orilade should stop lying and threatening people. If you have any cheque or draft or anything to show please do so.