Leicester City and Leeds United were relegated from the English Premier League after Abdoulaye Doucoure’s stunning strike secured Everton a 1-0 win over Bournemouth and survival on Sunday.

On the final day of the season, Everton were heading down as things stood at half-time.

Their clash with Bournemouth at Goodison Park was still goalless while Leicester City —- champions in 2016 —- led at home against West Ham.

But Doucoure’s strike from just outside the area in the 57th minute subsequently gave Sean Dyche’s men the victory they needed to guarantee safety, rendering their rivals’ results irrelevant.

Dean Smith’s Leicester City dropped in spite of winning 2-1 against West Ham.

Harvey Barnes had netted the first-half opener and Wout Faes added a 62nd-minute header before Pablo Fornals pulled a goal back for the visitors.

Second-bottom Leeds United join Leicester City and Southampton in the second tier following a 4-1 home loss to Tottenham as Sam Allardyce’s four-game mission to rescue them proved in vain.

Harry Kane put Spurs in front in the second minute, while Pedro Porro doubled their advantage in the opening stages of the second half.

After Jack Harrison’s 67th-minute reply, Kane —- registering his 30th league goal of the season —- and Lucas Moura then further boosted the visitors’ tally.

The result was not enough to see Tottenham claim Europa Conference League qualification, with Aston Villa cementing seventh place thanks to a 2-1 home win over Brighton.

Douglas Luiz and Ollie Watkins scored for Unai Emery’s side early on, with Deniz Undav then reducing the deficit just before the break.

Brentford also missed out on the final European spot in spite of winning.

Ethan Pinnock’s late goal earned a 1-0 home victory over champions Manchester City, having signed a new contract with the Bees earlier in the day.

READ ALSO: Buhari Makes Farewell Broadcast Sunday- Presidency

Second-placed Arsenal thrashed Wolves 5-0 at the Emirates Stadium, where Granit Xhaka netted a brace and Bukayo Saka, Gabriel Jesus and Jakub Kiwior also got on the scoresheet.

Manchester United secured third place as they came from behind to beat Fulham 2-1 at home.

The Cottagers led through a 19th-minute Kenny Tete goal.

They then failed to take the chance to make it 2-0 seven minutes later as Aleksandar Mitrovic saw his penalty kick saved by David de Gea.

Jadon Sancho subsequently drew things level before Bruno Fernandes struck the winner 10 minutes into the second half.

Fourth-placed Newcastle United drew 1-1 at Chelsea, with Anthony Gordon’s early opener for the Magpies being cancelled out by a Kieran Trippier own goal just before the half-hour mark.

The Blues end their troubled season in 12th place.

Already-relegated Southampton signed off from the top-flight by playing out a remarkable 4-4 draw with fifth-placed Liverpool at St Mary’s, in which they fought back from 2-0 down to lead 4-2.

Diogo Jota and Roberto Firmino —– playing his final game before leaving Liverpool —– had Jürgen Klopp’s men two goals up early on.

Then, things turned around via a James Ward-Prowse finish, Kamaldeen Sulemana brace and Adam Armstrong effort.

Cody Gakpo and Jota then hit back for Liverpool to see the game end up all-square.

Sunday’s other match also finished honours even.

Will Hughes’ second-half goal securing a 1-1 draw for Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park against Nottingham Forest, for whom Taiwo Awoniyi had scored a sixth goal in four games.(dpa/NAN)