President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed sadness over the killings in Ancha Village in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State, describing it as senseless.
Making this known on Saturday in a statement, the Senior Special Assistant to the President, Garba Shehu, said the president warned that a stop must be put to it immediately.
He said the president also expressed disappointment at the disruption of peace and normalcy that had taken root in the state.
He therefore called on stakeholders not to allow the violent incident to destroy the progress made so far.
“It is unlawful of anyone or group to take the laws into their hands in the name of revenge or reprisals, rather than follow due process by allowing law enforcement agencies to fish out any such aggressors who will be made to face justice,” he said.
According to President Buhari, “the various communities in the state have taken many steps, with the support of security agencies and mediators to pull the state back from the brink of anarchy and senseless killings warranted by attacks and counterattacks.”
He added that it would be “be a painful loss to allow these unsavoury acts to return. I urge all our communities in the state and the other parts of the country to embrace peace and bring to a stop these painful and unnecessary killings.”
The president further reiterated the determination of the federal government to protect the lives and property of all citizens, wherever they reside.
Meanwhile, the president has directed law enforcement agencies to apprehend the perpetrators of the Plateau killings and whoever their sponsors might be.
He also prayed God to grant peace to the souls of the victims and comfort to the grieving families and community.
Recall that the Plateau Police Command has confirmed 19 persons were killed and five others injured in an attack on Ancha Village, Bassa Local Government, on Friday.
Its Commissioner, Mr. Peter Ogunyanwo, who briefed newsmen on Friday in Jos, said that preliminary investigation had indicated that the attack was carried out by Fulani gunmen.
“We are investigating the matter, but from our findings so far, the attack was carried out by Fulani herdsmen to avenge the killing of a young boy.
“We have been told that a Fulani boy resident in the village was reported missing on August 3. We are told that his body was later found without the head,” he said.
According to Ogunyanwo, the attackers invaded the village in the early hours of Friday and unleashed mayhem on innocent citizens, killing 19 persons and injuring five others.
“Of the 19 persons that died, 13 are adults comprising seven males and six females.”