Fire guts CBN Gombe branch
CBN Building Gombe

Office of the Branch Controller, Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Gombe, Friday was gutted by fire, with a number of staff sustaining several degrees of injuries from the incident.

The inferno, however, did not extend to the vault and other important areas of the building.

It was gathered that some of the injured staff and those who inhaled carbon monoxide had been rushed to the Federal Teaching Hospital Gombe for medical attention.

READ ALSO: Fire Guts INEC Office In Abuja


A staff of the branch who spoke on the condition of anonymity said, “So far, no life was lost but due to the smoke, some were taken to the Federal Teaching Hospital Gombe for resuscitation. It majorly affected the office of the controller, destroying documents but it didn’t extend to the vault,” the source stated.

Meanwhile a tweet by the Central Bank of Nigeria has denied loss of lives adding that the incident was caused by electrical fault.

“Today, a minor fire incident was reported at our Gombe branch. The fire which started from an electrical fault and partially destroyed some furniture in the Branch Controller’s office, was promptly put out. There was no injury and no record or other asset of the Bank was affected,” the tweet said.